Wisdom should be part of preparedness.
I occasionally come across tidbits of wisdom and advice and these deserve to be shared.
Please comment on this post to share your own bits of wisdom
Wisdom from an Old Man to Young Men
Occasionally I’ll hear a bit of wisdom from someone who has traveled longer in this life, than I have. This is the place where I record those pieces of wisdom and hope that my children or others will read and take heed.
Remember these aren’t my words, so if you like them, make note of them. If you hate them, forget them!
1. Carry a Swiss army knife or multi-tool. You will use it, often.
2. Don’t pick on the weak. Its immoral. Don’t antagonize the strong without cause, its stupid.
3. Don’t hate women. Its a waste of time
4. Invest in yourself. Material things come to those that have self actualized.
5. Get in a fistfight, even if you are going to lose.
6. From a former Marine: Take it from me. Don’t join the military, unless you want to risk getting your balls blown off to secure other peoples economic or political interests.
7. If something has a direct benefit to an individual or a class of people, and a theoretical, abstract, or amorphous benefit to everybody else, realize that the proponent’s intentions are to benefit the former, not the latter, no matter what bullsh*t they try to feed you.
8. Don’t take proffered advice without a critical analysis. 90% of all advice is intended to benefit the proponent, not the recipient. Actually, the number is probably closer to 97%, but I Don’t want to come off as cynical.
9. You’ll spend your entire life listening to people tell you how much you owe them. You Don’t owe the vast majority of people sh*t.
10. Don’t undermine your fellow young men. Mentor the young men that come after you. Society recognizes that you have the potential to be the most power force in society. It scares them.
Society does not find young men sympathetic. They are afraid of you, both individually and collectively. Law enforcements primary purpose is to suppress you.
11. As a young man, you’re on your own. Society divides and conquers. Unlike women who have advocates looking out for them (NOW, Women’s Study Departments, government, non-profit organizations, political advocacy groups) almost no one is looking out for you.
12. Young men provide the genius and muscle by which our society thrives. Look at the Silicone Valley. By in large, it was not old men or women that created the revolution we live. Realize that society steals your contributions, secures it with our intellectual property laws, and then takes credit and the rewards where none is due.
13. Know that few people have your best interests at heart. Your mother does. Your father probably does (if he stuck around). Your siblings are on your side. Everybody else worries about themselves.
14. Don’t be afraid to tell people to “F*** off” when need be. It is an important skill to acquire. As they say, speak your piece, even if your voice shakes.
15. Acquire empathy, good interpersonal skills, and confidence. Learn to read body language and non-verbal communication. Don’t just concentrate on your vocational or technical skills, or you’ll find your wife f***ing somebody else.
16. Keep fit. The ladies dig it and you will feel better about yourself.
17. Don’t speak ill of your wife/girlfriend. Back her up against the world, even if she’s wrong. She should know that you have her back. When she needs your help, give it. She should know that you’ll take her part.
18. Don’t cheat on your wife/girlfriend. If you must cheat, Don’t humiliate her. Don’t risk having your transgressions come back to her or her friends. Don’t do it where you live. Don’t do it with people in your social circle. Don’t sh*t in your own back yard.
19. If your girlfriend doesn’t make you feel good about yourself and bring joy to your life, fire her. That’s what girlfriends are for.
20. Don’t bother with emotional affairs. They are just a vehicle for women to flirt and have someone make them feel good about themselves. That’s the part of a relationship they want. For you, it is a lot of work and investment in time.
If they are having an emotional affair with you, they’re probably f*cking someone else.
21. Becoming a woman’s friend and confidant is not going to get you into an intimate relationship. If you haven’t gotten the girl within a reasonably short period of time, chances are you won’t ever get her. Shell end up confiding to you about the sexual adventures she’s having with someone else.
22. Have and nurture friendships with women.
23. Realize that love is a numbers game. Guys fall in love easily. You’re going to see some girl and feel like you’ll die if you Don’t get her. If she rejects you, move on to the next one. It’s her loss.
24. Don’t be an internet troll. Get out and live life. There is not a cadre of beautiful women advertising on Craigslist to have sex with you.
Beautiful women don’t need to advertise. The websites that advertise with attractive women’s photos and claims of loneliness are baloney. All they want is your money and your personal information so that they can market to you.
The posts on Craigslist by young women seeking sex, and asking for a picture are just a bunch of gay troll pic collectors. This is especially true if the post uses common gay lexicon like “hole”, as in “f*** my hole” or “seeks masculine men”, or uses the word “c*ck” (except in the context of Don’t send a c*ck shot.) There are women on Craigslist. They are easily recognizable by their 2-5 paragraph postings. Most are in their 30’s or older.
25. When you become a man in full, know that people will get in your way. People who are attracted to you will somehow manage to step in your path. Gay guys will give you the look. Old people will somehow stumble in front of you at the worst time.
Don’t get frustrated. Just step aside and go about your business. Know that these are passive-aggressive methods to get you to acknowledge their existence.
26. Don’t gay bash. Don’t mentally or physically abuse people because of who they are, or how they present themselves. Its none of your business to try to intimidate people into conformity.
27. If your gay, admit it to yourself, your parents, your friends and society at large. Be prepared to get harassed. See rule 14. If someone threatens you or assaults you, call the cops. Have them arrested.
You have no obligation to self-sacrifice because of who you are. As a gay person, you’ll have more social freedom than straight men. Use it to protect yourself. Be prepared to get out of Dodge if your orientation makes your life unbearable. Move to San Francisco, New York, Atlanta, or New Orleans. You’ll find a welcoming community there.
28. Don’t be a poser. Avoid being one of those dudes who puts a surfboard on top of their car, but never surfs, or a dude with a powder coated fixed gear bike and a messenger bag, but was never a messenger. Live the life. Earn your bona fides.
29. Don’t believe the crap about the patriarchy. More women are accepted and attend college. More degrees are awarded to women than men. Women outlive men. More men commit suicide. Men are twice as likely to be victims of violence, including murder. If you consider sexual assaults in prisons, twice as many men are raped as women (society thinks prison rape is funny).
The streets are littered with homeless men, sprinkled with a few homeless women. Statically, women are happier than men. The myth that girls are being cheated by our educational system is belied by the fact that schools are bastions of femininity, mostly run by and taught by women.
Girls outperform boys in school. It is the boys in school getting f***ed over, and prescribed Ritalin for being boys. Real wages for men are falling, while real wages for women are rising. Just because someone says something enough times, doesn’t make it true. You have nothing to feel guilty about.
30. Remember, 97% of all advice is worthless. Take what you can use, and trash the rest.
31. Remember “Old age and treachery beats youth and vigor, every time!”
6 thoughts on “31 Pieces of Wisdom & Life-Advice from Old Men to Young Men”
1. Have a plan. Where do you want to be in five years? Then write a plan and then write the steps to get there and follow them. Update your plan(s) at least once a year and more often is OK. Evaluate where you are in your steps to achieve your plan often (weekly, monthly even daily) and update and follow it. If you don’t have a plan for your life you are going nowhere like a drifting boat or worse.
2. Aim high. If it isn’t possible it is easier to lower your sights then it is to rise them.
3. Choose to be happy. Your work should make you happy if not find something else. Your firends and relationships should make you happy. If not look for friends and relationships that do make you happy. (I’m not saying to walk away from friends. Sometimes a friend isn’t going to always make you happy to be their friend but the call to walk away from them should be thought through carefully. A good friend and a lifelong friend is good to have even if they aren’t perfect and few people are perfect.)
4. People will advise you not to get married and have kids. They are wrong. If you are between the ages of 18-26 and aren’t married and never have been married you are in luck. Most women your age are looking to get married and will gladly marry below their station in life (be that measured by looks, intelligience or job). A man should marry someone he loves who is pretty and sexy. Does that sound chauvinistic? Then you don’t understand love and relationships. A man needs a woman that he is crazy about. He will love her and make her happy and improve the chances of a good relationship. If you marry someone “good enough” or because you got her pregnant you will probably regret it. Look for someone better then you deserve and go for it. (A woman often does not need to be in love to have a happy marriage. She is better off with a man who loves her even if she does not love him. Most women choose this type of relationship either knowingly or intuitively.) Be aware that your marriage will probably not last 50 plus years. But try to make it last until your children are grown. Women (and men) change and it is likely your wife will tell you one day she doesn’t love you and/or isn’t happy. (She is more likely to tell you indirectly by cheating on you or asking for a divorce.) If you can stick it out until your kids reach 18 you will be much better off and so won’t your kids. So compromise and make it work until then.
5. Money does not guarantee happiness but lack of money guarantees unhappiness. Be careful with your money, save for bad times and your retirement and live within your means. If your wife cannot control her spending then you must but do it diplomatically.
I’m sure you will be angry when you read this, but i am truly sorry that your life has been so painful.
I love this list. #13 and #25 are my favourite.
I love this blog because it is real and not just about weapons. There are mostly boys in my family. I worry about my sons and your list is pretty good. Your advice is honest and direct. That’s the best way, until something happens in a relationship, then backstroke and be diplomatic. Be honest enough to apologize. Everyone has to, not everyone has the stuffing to do it. Usually, it’s best to be quiet and then the mob won’t storm your house with pitchforks. If you need to speak the truth until your voice shakes, then do it. Be advised people never did, and never will much like the truth. If you are saying what needs to be said or done, make sure that before you start that your family and friends are elsewhere or at least warned.
Thank you for the great comment. Survival is about so much more than tactical stuff and weapons. I prefer to live in peace as much as possible. I’ll use my mind as my weapon and main tool, unless there is no choice.
Why is there such a overdosed obsession with LGBTQ+ comments on internet? At first it kinda was triggering due to lolsense nonsense but analysing from cool POV. Guess it is another skill to learn aka selfcontrol cause it is kinda new threat for mind. People will always provoke others for 1:1. Dual nature or something.