Whether your hiking, walking, camping or playing outside, it’s important to regulate your temperature. Keeping cool outdoors, can make a hot day more bearable and prevent severe medical distress.
Keeping Cool Outdoors
As we roll on forward into the warmer months, we need to keep our health in mind.
If you or someone you love gets too hot, or is in the sun too long, they could develop some serious heat related illnesses
- Heat stroke
- Heat exhaustion
- Heat cramps
- Heat syncope
- Heat rash
These illnesses can occur rather quickly and can even strike you in your own yard, while doing routing maintenance, like yard work. Note: Try to avoid yard work between 10:00AM and 4PM local time, as this is typically the hottest part of the day.
Luckily there are some simple methods to help keep you cool. Please repeat these steps as needed:
- Try to rest in a shady spot when you start becoming too hot.
- Wear light color clothing
- Wear a light color, vented hat
- Mist yourself with water from a spray bottle
- Drink plenty of clear liquids, preferably water!
- Soak a bandana in cool water and tie it around your head and/or neck. This takes advantage of evaporation, which is a natural cooling effect.
- Soak a Neck Cooling Wrap in water and tie it around your head and/or neck. Neck Cooling Wraps contain cutting edge crystal polymers that cool when water is added. They can provide long lasting relief that will last all day, just rewet when it dries out and flip over scarf when one side gets warm to the cool side. These things are a miracle. I tried one out on a whim, and now I wear it every time I have to do yard work! Very nice.
- Soak your clothes with cool water from a stream, lake, pond, water bottle, canteen, hose, well, or any other cleanish water source.
- Take a swim or soak parts of your body, in a cool body of water.
Did I mention to stay hydrated, and to drink plenty of clear liquids, preferably water! I know I did, I was just reminding you!
If you take it easy and use some of these cooling methods, you should have a comfortable summer, regardless of your activities!